Davao del Norte bets in Philippine Olympic Festival

A Davao del Norte cager scramble for the loose ball against three Misamis Oriental cagers in the recent POF Mindanao Qualifying Games in Tubod, Lanao del Norte. Davao del Norte finished third in boys basketball. (PGO-INFO)

Davao del Norte’s Mylene Que and Lizelle Manatad prepares to return in their women’s beach volleyball finals in the recent POF Mindanao Qualifying Games in Tubod, Lanao del Norte. The Davao del Norte tandem won the gold. (N. Baguio, PGO-INFO)

A Davao del Norte cager barrels inside for a layup against a Misamis Oriental defender in the recent POF Mindanao Qualifying Games in Tubod, Lanao del Norte. Davao del Norte finished third in boys basketball. (PGO-INFO)

Davao del Norte Provincial Sports Coordinator Anthony del Rosario (left) confers with Neilwin Joseph Bravo, Assistant Provincial Administrator for Operations, while making a site visit of the Mindanao Civic Center in Tubod, Lanao del Norte. Davao del Norte will be constructing a modern sports complex in Mankilam, Tagum City starting late this year. (Noel Baguio, PGO-INFO)

Advertisements

Adonis lawyers, NUJP file petition for writ of habeas corpus today

Adonis lawyers, NUJP file petition for writ of habeas corpus today

A petition for writ of habeas corpus will be filed at 11:30 am today, May 30, at the Supreme Court by Atty. Harry Roque and Atty. Rommel Bagares in behalf of Alexander Adonis, the Davao journalist currently detained in the Davao Penal Colony (Dapecol) despite posting a P5,000 bail early this week.

The petition is co-signed by the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines and the Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR).

The Dapecol warden, Supt. Benjo Tesoro, refused to release Adonis citing that there is still no order from “higher correctional authorities” for his release.  The Dapecol is under the Bureau of Corrections headed by Dir. Oscar Calderon and is a line agency under the Department of Justice.

NUJP has already called on DOJ Sec. Raul Gonzales to act on the immediate release of Adonis. As of this time, no reply has come from the justice department.

We invite you to please cover the event and support the call for Adonis immediate release.

For more details, please contact Mr. Angel Ayala (09208816375) or Karen Papellero (09163658510).

IFJ-NUJP Media Safety Office

Radio broadcaster still in jail despite posting bail

Reporters Without Borders/Reporters sans frontières/Reporteros sin Fronteras

28 May 2008

PHILIPPINES

Radio broadcaster still in jail despite posting bail


Reporters Without Borders today deplored the continued detention of radio broadcaster Alex Adonis, of dxMF Bombo Radyo, despite his posting of bail after the Davao regional court said he could be freed on this condition. He was sentenced last year to four and a half years in prison for “slandering” a member of parliament.

“Adonis must be released because imprisonment for defamation is a violation of freedom of expression and an attempt to intimidate journalists,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “His continued detention after the court ruling is an insult to the rule of law in the Philippines. The Supreme Court must order his release and defamation must be decriminalised.”

Adonis’ colleagues, who helped him post bail, went to Davao prison on 26 May hours after Davao regional court Judge George Omelio had ordered him released on bail of 73 euros. But prison governor Benjo Tesoro told them he would not be freed until “higher correctional authorities” had been officially informed.

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) called today on justice minister Raúl Gonzáles and national prisons chief Oscar Calderón (the “higher correctional authority” mentioned by Tesoro) to “rectify the error” that had “deprived Adonis of his constitutional rights.” The NUJP supported a request to the Supreme Court today by Adonis’ lawyer, Harry Roque, asking it to rule on the legality of the journalist’s continued imprisonment.

A complaint was filed jointly by Adonis, the NUJP and the Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR) at the end of last month to the UN High Commission on Human Rights condemning the “criminal” nature of the country’s defamation law.

Lawyer Roque also asked for Adonis’ trial to be reviewed by the Davao regional court in the light of a Supreme Court memorandum on 25 January this year recommending that judges fine rather than imprison people for defamation.

Adonis was sentenced in his absence on 31 January last year for “slandering” MP Prospero Nograles, the speaker of parliament and an ally of President Gloria Arroyo, by saying he had been seen fleeing naked from a Manila hotel after being caught by his reported paramour’s husband. He was due for release on bail on 11 December last year after serving the minimum part of his sentence but remained in prison because of a new complaint filed against him by the woman mentioned in his commentaries.

————–

PHILIPPINES

L’animateur de radio Alex Adonis maintenu en détention malgré un ordre de la cour autorisant sa libération sous caution

Reporters sans frontières dénonce le maintien en détention de l’animateur de la radio dxMF Bombo Radyo, Alex Adonis, qui s’est pourtant acquitté d’une caution lui permettant d’être libéré, conformément à une décision de la cour régionale de justice de Davao (Sud). Le journaliste avait été condamné en 2007 à quatre ans et demi de prison pour “diffamation” envers un membre du Parlement.


“La détention d’Alex Adonis ne peut plus durer. Sa condamnation à plusieurs années de prison pour diffamation constituait déjà une atteinte à la liberté d’expression et une tentative d’intimidation des journalistes. Son maintien en détention en violation d’une décision de justice est désormais une insulte à l’Etat de droit aux Philippines. La Cour suprême doit ordonner la libération du journaliste. La diffamation doit être extraite du domaine de la loi pénale”, a déclaré Reporters sans frontières.

Les collègues de l’animateur de radio, qui l’ont aidé à régler sa caution et se sont assurés de la délivrance de l’ordre de libération, étaient venus accueillir Alex Adonis, le 26 mai 2008, à la sortie du pénitentier de Davao (Dapecol). Les journalistes ont dû faire face au refus du directeur de la prison, le superintendant Benjo Tesoro, de libérer Alex Adonis avant que des “autorités correctionnelles supérieures” en soient informées. Le juge George Omelio, de la 14e cour du tribunal régional de Davao, avait ordonné le jour même la libération de l’animateur de radio contre une caution de 73 euros.


La National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) a appelé, dans un communiqué publié le 28 mai, le ministre de la Justice, Raúl Gonzáles, et le directeur des Services correctionnels, Oscar Calderón – l'”autorité correctionnelle supérieure” invoquée par Benjo Tesoro -, “à corriger cette erreur qui a privé leur collègue de ses droits constitutionnels”. La NUJP a soutenu l’ordonnance déposée devant la Cour suprême, le 28 mai, par l’avocat d’Alex Adonis, Harry Roque, demandant à la haute juridiction de se prononcer sur le caractère légal ou non de la détention de son client.

Une plainte a été déposée conjointement, à la fin avril 2008, par Alex Adonis, la NUJP et le Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR) devant le Haut-Commissariat aux droits de l’homme des Nations unies pour dénoncer le caractère “criminel” de la loi sur la diffamation.

L’avocat Harry Roque a par ailleurs demandé une révision du procès du journaliste par la cour régionale de justice de Davao, en raison d’un mémorandum de la Cour suprême, du 25 janvier 2008, recommandant aux juges de condamner les personnes coupables de “diffamation” à des amendes plutôt qu’à des peines de prison.

L’animateur de la radio dxMF Bombo Radyo, Alex Adonis, avait été condamné par contumace, le 31 janvier 2007, à quatre ans et demi de prison pour “diffamation”. Le journaliste avait déclaré sur les ondes que Prospero Nograles, président du Parlement et proche de la présidente Gloria Arroyo, avait été vu s’enfuyant nu d’un hôtel de Manille après avoir été surpris par le mari de sa maîtresse présumée. Bien qu’ayant obtenu, le 11 décembre 2007, une libération conditionnelle pour avoir purgé le minimum de sa peine, Alex Adonis était resté en prison à cause d’une nouvelle plainte déposée contre lui par la femme évoquée à l’époque.

————–

FILIPINAS

Mantienen detenido al presentador radiofónico Alex Adonis a pesar de que el tribunal ha autorizado su libertad confianza

Reporteros sin Fronteras denuncia que se mantenga detenido al presentador Alex Adonis, de la radio dxMF Bombo Radyo, a pesar de que ha pagado la fianza que le permite salir en libertad de acuerdo con la sentencia del tribunal regional de justicia de Davao (sur). El periodista fue condenado en 2007 a cuatro años y medio de cárcel por “difamar” a un miembro del Parlamento.

“La detención de Alex Adonis no puede continuar. Su condena a varios años de cárcel por difamación ya era un atentado a la libertad de expresión, y un intento de intimidar a los periodistas. Que ahora le mantengan detenido, violando una sentencia judicial, es un insulto al Estado de derecho en Filipinas. El Tribunal Supremo tiene que ordenar la libertad del periodista. La difamación debe quedar fuera del dominio de lo penal”, ha declarado Reporteros sin Fronteras.

Los colegas del presentador radiofónico, que le ayudaron a pagar la fianza y se aseguraron de la existencia de la orden de ponerle en libertad, acudieron el 26 de mayo de 2008 a recibir a Alex Adonis, a la salida de la penitenciaría de Davao (Dapeco). Los periodistas se encontraron con la negativa del director del centro, el superintendente Benjo Tesoro, quien se negó a poner en libertad a Alex Adonis hasta que sean informadas las “autoridades correccionales superiores”. El juez George Omelio, de la sala 14 del tribunal regional de Davao, había dado ese mismo día orden de poner en libertad al presentador, mediante el pago de una fianza de 73 euros.

En un comunicado hecho público el 28 de mayo de 2008, la National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) ha pedido al Ministro de Justicia, Raúl Gonzáles, y al director de los Servicios Correccionales, Oscar Calderón -“la autoridad correccional superior” de que hablaba Benjo Tesoro- que “corrijan el error que ha privado a su colega de los derechos constitucionales”. La NUJP apoya el recurso, presentado el 28 de mayo por el abogado de Alex Adonis, Harry Roque, pidiendo a la alta jurisdicción que se pronuncie sobre la legalidad, o no, de la detención de su cliente.

A finales de abril de 2008 se presentó una denuncia conjunta de Alex Adonis, la NUJP y el Center for Media Freedom and Responsability (CNFR) ante el Alto Comisariado de los Derechos Humanos de Naciones Unidas, contra el carácter “criminal” de la ley de difamación.


Por otra parte, el abogado Harry Roque ha pedido que el tribunal regional de justicia de Davao revise el proceso del periodista, apoyándose en un memorando del 25 de enero de 2008 del Tribunal Supremo, en el que se recomienda a los jueces que condenen a las personas acusadas de “difamación a multas, en lugar de a penas de cárcel.

Alex Adonis, presentador de la radio dxMF Bombo Radyo, fue condenado por contumacia el 31 de enero de 2007, a cuatro años y medio de cárcel por “difamación”. El periodista había dicho en antena que se había visto a Próspero Nograles, Presidente del Parlamento y persona cercaba a la presidenta Gloria Arroyo, escapando desnudo de un hotel de Manila, tras ser sorprendido por el marido de su presunta amante. Aunque el 11 de diciembre de 2007 consiguió la libertad condicional, por haber cumplido un mínimo de la condena, Alex Adonis continuó en la cárcel a causa de una nueva denuncia, presentada contra él por la mujer a la que se refería entonces.

--


Vincent Brossel
Asia – Pacific Desk
Reporters Sans Frontières
47 rue Vivienne
75002 Paris
33 1 44 83 84 70
33 1 45 23 11 51 (fax)
asia@rsf.org
www.rsf.org

Batang Growee 3-on-3 opens Friday, Inday Sara is guest of honor

Acting Davao City mayor Sara Z. Duterte is the guest of honor.

The Batang Growee 3-on-3 Basketball Challenge opens on Friday at the Ladislawa gym.
The opening ceremony will be graced by acting mayor Sara Z. Duterte at 9 a.m.
The tournament proper kicks off on Saturday simultaneously at the Panacan Relocation, Gov.Duterte, Buhangin and Bankerohan gyms.
A total of 100 teams are joining the tournament that will have its championships games on June 1 at the Buhangin gym starting at 1 p.m.
Awarding ceremony is at 4:30 p.m.
The champion will win P3,000 worth of gift certificates from Growee multi-vitamins, P2,000 for the first runner-up, P1,000 for the second runner-up and P500 for the third runner-up and trophies.
Individual awards will also be given to the most valuable player, king of the board and mythical four, said organizer Rael Diaz on Thursday’s Davao Sportswriters Association (DSA) Forum at the Tower Inn sponsored by Genesis 88 Advertising and Tower Inn-The Business Hotel.

Ambitious Pichay

I am impressed by the speech delivered by National Chess Federation of the Philippines president Prospero Pichay Jr. on Monday’s opening of the Davao Chess Tournament, ably hosted by the Gaisano South Citimall.

Impressed because he wants to make the Philippines a chess superpower with the aim to beat a superpower like Russia.

Pichay, the former congressman from Surigao, is ambitious.

I can’t blame him for being one. He just wants to prove something and wants big achievements while he is still the chess federation’s president. That something can be done to improve the sad state of Philippine chess.

That’s the kind of National Sports Association (NSA) leader that we need. Ambitious and eager to prove to all that he can produce more national masters, international masters, Fide masters and grandmasters during his stint.

Go Teng Kok to head karatedo federation?

This news is terrible.

I don’t know why they will allow this.

A sports association should be headed by a stakeholder, not somebody from out of nowhere.

What’s wrong with the Philippine Olympic Committee?

Damn, this is really crazy.

And please, don’t get me wrong again. I have nothing against Go Teng Kok.

All I know is that he is not a karatedo practitioner.

What is the feeling right now of karatedo regional director Ernesto “Erning” Tacay of Tagum and city commissioner Rommel Tan of Davao on this news?